cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd, Jessica Hische Honeybees depend not only on physical contact with the colony, but also require it's social companionship and support. Isolate a honeybee from her sisters and she will soon die.

The continuos sound of humming bees fills this book. Bees swarm around as complex symbols, resembling people and their bond towards each other. Hidden connections between loving sisters and the importance of mothers keep appearing throughout the book, making it a true delight to read and to wonder about.

Kidd's writing is exquisite - even magical at some places. Lily is the perfect narrator as well; she hides nothing, and allows the reader to catch truthful glimpses of her constantly changing teenage-mind. Seen from the outside she would probably lose her charm; but with her constantly soothing voice, the narrative is floating gracefully, and sympathy for her character is inevitable.

Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.

While this sure is a timeless book with a beautiful messages, I never fully warmed up to its religious aspect. I praise Kidd for her ingenious feminism - but at times her motives were too obvious. I also had a problem with the pacing - in particular Lily's long reluctance to finally ask about her mother felt a bit dragged out.
Still, it was an easy book to read and an interesting one. I was happy when Lily finally stood up for herself and found her own voice; she freed herself, and cast off her chains in the end.

We walked along the river with the words streaming behind us like ribbons in the night.