cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Birthday Stories - Haruki Murakami, David Foster Wallace, Paul Theroux, Claire Keegan, Lewis Robinson, Lynda Sexson, Daniel Lyons, William Trevor, Denis Johnson, Russell Banks, Ethan Canin, Andrea Lee, Raymond Carver A collection of short stories with one theme in common: they're all about birthdays - and yet they are nothing alike.

The collection is dipped in a sea of melancholia and sadness, as birthdays are often associated with reflections and a profound outlook on the life that has passed by. People find themselves longing for closure, for hope, and for something more than they ever got.

My favorite story was perhaps the first one in the collection. 'The Moor' by Russell Banks is lingering in the back of my mind, and I will perhaps treasure it always. I also adored 'Birthday Present' by Andrea Lee which is a beautiful tale of decay and of powerbalance in a complicated marriage. It is so perfectly lovely and complex, that I'm considering using it for a class that I'm teaching. 'Timothy's Birthday' by William Trevor was also a pleasant surprise; it tells an interesting tale of how birthdays always force estranged families to come together in the name of tradition and habit.

What I like most of all is how minimalistic the writing is; even though the stories are widely different, they each sound alike and come together in a beautiful unision. "Birthday Stories" has left me with an urge to read more short stories in the nearest future.