cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Dæmonernes by (Dødens instrumenter #1) - Cassandra Clare Ok, so "City of Bones" goes something like this;

Darth Vader: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father"
Luke: "He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him."
Vader: "No, I am your father."
Luke: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

But apparently Darth Vader is everyone's father in this one, and Luke and Leia are very twisted siblings indeed.

Star Wars comparisons aside, this book is filled with clichés and a high level of predictability. Every major plot twist is hinted 100 pages before it takes place, and every single character is a reinvention of someone you've met before in another novel. The romance consists of a love triangle between the nerdy friend, the girl-who-doesnt-know-how-beautiful-she-truly-is, and the seemingly tough guy with a harsh childhood and inner suffering. Sounds familiar? Add to that yet another love triangle (!) with the exact same elements, and you have a clear vision of Clare's plot. Not at all repetitive.

But that wouldn't be so bad, if the plot at least was fast-moving and exciting. But it isn't - it truly isn't. In the middle of the novel Clare decides to waste about 50 pages on a completely irrelevant rat-chase - just to fill out the pages. It made no sense, at all.

I like the concept of Clare's universe - but I do not like the characters she has populated it with, and I will not read the rest of the series. After all, I already know how it's going to end. (We all know that, don't we?)