Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Dæmonernes by (Dødens instrumenter #1) - Cassandra Clare Ok, so "City of Bones" goes something like this;

Darth Vader: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father"
Luke: "He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him."
Vader: "No, I am your father."

But apparently Darth Vader is everyone's father in this one, and Luke and Leia are very twisted siblings indeed.

Star Wars comparisons aside, this book is filled with clichés and a high level of predictability. Every major plot twist is hinted 100 pages before it takes place, and every single character is a reinvention of someone you've met before in another novel. The romance consists of a love triangle between the nerdy friend, the girl-who-doesnt-know-how-beautiful-she-truly-is, and the seemingly tough guy with a harsh childhood and inner suffering. Sounds familiar? Add to that yet another love triangle (!) with the exact same elements, and you have a clear vision of Clare's plot. Not at all repetitive.

But that wouldn't be so bad, if the plot at least was fast-moving and exciting. But it isn't - it truly isn't. In the middle of the novel Clare decides to waste about 50 pages on a completely irrelevant rat-chase - just to fill out the pages. It made no sense, at all.

I like the concept of Clare's universe - but I do not like the characters she has populated it with, and I will not read the rest of the series. After all, I already know how it's going to end. (We all know that, don't we?)