cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) - Jerome K. Jerome Hilarious, nonsensical and full of rambling diversions - to read this little book is almost like listening to my great-grandfather talk. It took me a while to get completely into the writing style and to find my way in between the loud thinking and actual events, but I did get sucked in at last.

My only problem with this book is the constantly shifting tone between humorous incidents and profound philosophies. The sudden streams of deep thinking always surprised me, and the ending scene with a dead woman floating by in the water somehow seemed a bit misplaced.

Still, this book made me laugh out loud several times. Some passages are simply brilliantly written - such as this;

My tooth-brush is a thing that haunts me when I’m travelling, and makes my life a misery. I dream that I haven’t packed it, and wake up in a cold perspiration, and get out of bed and hunt for it. And, in the morning, I pack it before I have used it, and have to unpack again to get it, and it is always the last thing I turn out of the bag; and then I repack and forget it, and have to rush upstairs for it at the last moment and carry it to the railway station, wrapped up in my pocket-handkerchief.