cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
The Magic Toyshop - Angela Carter  “She remembered the lover made up out of books and poems she had dreamed of all summer; he crumbled like the paper he was made of before this insolent, off-hand, terrifying maleness, filling the room with its reek. She hated it. But she could not take her eyes off him.

Torn wedding dresses, shattered dreams, death, incest and magic realism, written in the most exquisite language with heavy use of thought-provoking symbolism and subtle hints. Reading it was such an unforeseen surprise, and I am left with contradicting feelings and overwhelming admiration.

Carters prose is lovely, and her characters feel so alive and so real. Although I didn't particularly like any of them, I still felt them breathing down my neck, while they wandered aimlessly around in their puppet-theatre prison. They made me uncomfortably aware of my eavesdropping on their conversations.
The use of an almost gothic toyshop as the background setting for the story fills the book with a secretive and mysterious atmosphere; hidden keys, locked boxes and unfathomable mechanisms.

"The Magic Toyshop" has worked its magic and left me in a trance. I cannot say for sure whether I hate it or love it, but this I know: I will never forget this book.