cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?

This was impressive. Not only does Mitchell use every possible narrative form in order to distinguish and create his characters, he also give each of them their own voice and specific dialect, making it utterly impossible not be convinced by their very individualistic personalities. As a result the characters feel very believable. In fact, they almost become more than just characters in a fictional book; they become real.

I got severely attached to Robert Frobisher, the melancholic and suffering artist with overly ambitious dreams and heavy thoughts. Adam Ewing also found a way into my heart with his childish naivety and righteous thinking.
The tale of Louisa Rey was thrilling, but I did never really warm up to her character. Timothy Cavendish was perhaps not really my cup of tea, but he did make me laugh several times.
Somni-451 had me from the very beginning with her despairing story and the dark vision of our future. Mitchell's treatment of the clones reminded me of Shelley's Frankenstein. The theme of human's inhumanity towards their own creations was certainly there.
And then in the middle of it all, in the centre of the novel and deep into the core of Mitchell's message, lies the dystopic future seen through the eyes of Zachry. I really had to concentrate as I read through his chapters. Mitchell presented a heavily distorted futuristic language, and it was a bit hard to read. But I did get through it, and I marveled at the violent fights Zachry had to face deep within himself.

The composition of Robert Frobisher's "Cloud Atlas Sextet" fluently marks how the stories overlap, intertwine and affect each other. As the stories spread like rings in the water and ultimately turns inside-out at the end, a beautiful pattern is created, broken and restored. "Cloud Atlas" is not just a typical multiplot-novel. No. "Cloud Atlas" is a work of art - beautiful in its very construction.