cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold Yet another book I have read in a very backward order - after watching the film. However I hated the film, and only chose to read "The Lovely Bones" because I wanted to find out if there was more to the story. Sadly, there was not.

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold is too sentimental and filled with nonsensical writing for my taste. Sebold's use of adjectives and comparisions is probably meant to be poetical, but it just feels flat and tame; as if she is trying too hard.
The story itself has some substance, but Sebold's characters never came to life within the pages. Even the murderer has no depth at all. All the characters are so simple in their grief - there is no variation or even a hint of coloring in their personalities.

On another note, I do not connect or agree at all with Sebold's idea of heaven. That was the part of the book I really loathed. Perhaps it is one of the hardest tasks ever presented in literature; creating a heaven people can believe in. And Sebold is definitely not up to the job.

All in all - a promising story, but very poorly excecuted.