cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton, Hermione Lee "The House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton is a surprisingly raw tale of an independent woman and her descent into desperation and public humiliation. It is a poisonous portrayal of a woman's complete helplessness in a class society.

While I found the novel to be perfectly clear on its subject and its morale, I never did warm up to its characters. Miss Lily Bart never won my symphathy, and as she is mainly surrounded by hypocrites there was not a single character I actually liked - which made it hard for me to really connect with the novel.
Also, I liked the first part of the story much better than the second part. I blame it on the sudden change of scenery and tone, and the shift of focus.

My enjoyment of this book cannot entitle it to more than three stars - the topic of the book however is worth a thousand stars along with hours of thoughtful consideration.