cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens "Now, I return to this young fellow. And the communication I have got to make is, that he has great expectations

I love Dickens. I love his rich descriptions, vivid imagery and minutious attention to even the slightest details. I love to wallow in his lovely long words and to spent half an hour to reread one single sentence. I love to lose myself completely in his endless chapters, with mysteries and suspense that seems to be dragging on forever. I love his plot structure, with its numerous cliffhangers and subtle tones of repetition.

"You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here, the rough common boy whose poor heart you wounded even then."

And of course, "Great Expectations" is my favorite Dickens novel. It has it all. On one side it is a tale of lost love and youth, and yet it is also a haunting mystery with several elements of horror. It tells of a bittersweet revenge and the making of a monster, and yet at the same time it underlines the importance of true friendship, family and devotion.

"Great Expectations" also contains some of the most memorable characters ever created. Miss Havisham is written as the perfect embodiment of a wounded soul, who will seek revenge at all costs. When Dickens described how she stopped her clocks and remained in her torn wedding dress, while her wedding cake turned rotten and became a home for bugs and mice, he made an everlasting image of the psychologically deteriorated spinster, that still lasts to this very day.
And her influence on Estella, the way she forces her ambitions and hopes on a hopelessly helpless young girl, serves as a well-known phenonomen, and is the very essence of manipulation and brainwash.

“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.

The fact is, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Perhaps it is a bit long, perhaps a few chapters could be spared, but all in all, it is worth every struggle, and every minute spent reading it will be rewarded. It is one of my favorite books of all-time, and the first time I read it, I was completely blown away, and had to think it over and over again for weeks to come.
There's so many things to admire. It is both a character-driven and a plot-driven book with numerous themes, written in a lyrical, and yet very wordy and heavy, language. I will probably keep rereading it 'till the day I die - and I will probably find something new to marvel at every single time.