cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë I will describe "Agnes Grey" by Anne Brontë with the help of three s's; simple, sweet and subtle.

The book is simple because of its very straightforward plot line. One would almost expect any novel with the notorious Brontë-name on the frontcover to contain some objects of mystic or riddles. But no, not this one. Anne Brontë won my heart with her simplistic realism. The story is by no means overambitious but it is certainly very believable, and probably inspired a great deal by Anne Brontë's own experiences as a governess.

Given the simple structure and style of the novel, in addition to the lovely ending, I couldn't help but to declare this book one of the sweetest stories I have ever read. I was so happy for Agnes, when she finally got her happiness, and almost felt like clapping my hands with joy. Genuine sweetness is truly underrated and this book is filled with it, from one end to another.

And of course, everything ranging from the writing style to the plot, the morale and the characters was united with such an effortless elegance and subtle writing skills, which left me full of admiration. I can easily understand why "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre" always will always overshadow the subtle "Agnes Grey", but there is definitely some overlooked charm to Anne Brontë's writing as well.