cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Magician (Riftwar Saga) - Raymond E. Feist I almost thought I was growing weary of fantasy novels (which I hate to admit, because I know it sounds awful and almost impossible). At least the modern definition of 'fantasy' with all its clichés and predictable plots. So when I picked up "Magician" I was not expecting much - having almost judged the book by its cover.

However "Magician" proved to be one of those rare, epic tales, almost equal to LOTR in its beautifully woven story. Midkemia was described perfectly believable as an old world with ancient traditions and various creatures. I also thought the encounter with the so-called enemies from the hostile world of Kelewan very clever. Both worlds were richly portrayed and described, and it was a pleasure to once again sink into an entirely new and original fantasy-world.

Another thing I really liked as well was the many different characters - dwarves as well as elves, dragons, goblins and the relatable humans. Pug (the main protagonist) was very convincing, but I liked the background characters even more. Especially the dwarves and the elves caught my attention - probably because of their interesting culture and mystical lives, which after all is the essence of a traditional fantasy novel.

But (and there is always a but, isn't there?) I found myself struggling a bit with the length of the novel. I have absolutely no problem with 700 pages in general, but in this book it just seemed to extensive. I do not know what should or could have been left out, I just know that I lost my focus in the middle of the book. Which is a shame, because I really did enjoy reading it overall.
Also I think the book could have focused a bit more on the magical aspects of Pug's abilities. I would have liked to know more of his power and his acknowledgment of it. But that may just be me.

I do not think I'll need to read the rest of the series. Why? Simply because this book told me all I needed to know. It had the perfect ending, and didn't leave my hungry for more. I am contend with leaving Midkemia for now, and perhaps return one day far out in the future, when I run out of reading material (or find myself in need of a good old-fashioned fantasy novel).