cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Jo's Boys (Puffin Classics) - Louisa May Alcott There's a certain sense of emptiness that only booklovers will know. Upon closing a dear book and saying goodbye to its variety of language and characters, it can often feel like some precious part of one's soul is left behind and lost forever. And here I am; with a bittersweet lump in my throat and a melancholic longing for something more.

"Jo's Boys" by Louisa May Alcott is different from the other books in this series. It is far more dramatic - even violent at times - in its plot, and is generally a far cry from the idyllic ending one would have expected.
Most of the time I agreed with Alcott's decisions in her characters' fate, but I will not and cannot accept the broken road Dan had to take. I wanted to see him succeed so badly that his dismissed dreams almost felt like a true tragedy. My heart ached for him.

However I loved the story of Nat who got everything he deserved, and dear Nan who turned out to be the perfect feminist that Jo failed to become. Emil's experiences added a tone of adventure to the novel, and Tom's lesson was an underlined deja-vu of Laurie's previous experience.
Jo's character was also rather interesting, and I loved how Alcott used her for a higher purpose and through her explained the triumphs and trials of being an admired author. It felt very authentic.

I started reading "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys" in order to catch glimpses of Meg, Jo and Amy, but I ended up enjoying the new colorful additions to the little group equally. Alcott managed to introduce the new generation with such heartfelt emotion, that I couldn't help but to give in and adore them just as much as the original characters.

"And now, having endeavoured to suit everyone by many weddings, few deaths, and as much prosperity as the eternal fitness of things will permit, let the music stop, the lights die out, and the curtain fall for ever on the March family."