cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie, F.D. Bedford All children, except one, grow up.

Thus begins the most classic piece of children's literature of all-time. Written with such delicate embellishments the language is a wonder in itself, and you will find yourself sighing with delight at the stunning metaphors and fanciful explanations.
The story is naturally as immortal as Peter Pan himself, and every child should have the pleasure of taking off to Neverland along with him. Neverland is the perfect idealization of every child's imaginative dreamland - complete with mermaids, fairies, pirates, indians and infinite adventures. As a child I wished desperately for Peter Pan to show up at my window and whisk me away.

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."

And yet the story is so melancholic and so heartbreakingly sad. There's a subtle tone of tragedy to the character of Peter Pan, which I never detected as a child. His longing for a mother and his lack of belonging and attachment is actually turning him into the most lonely boy in the world. In some ways he resembles Antoine de Saint-Exupery's Little Prince in his isolation.
This is so much more than a mere lullaby for children, it is a complex story with many layers - written for adults as well as children.

"Stars are beautiful, but they may not take part in anything, they must just look on forever."