cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
The Library of Unrequited Love - Sophie Divry, Siân Reynolds I had just opened "The Library of Unrequited Love" and read the dedication page, when I knew I was going to love it. It only took one sentence to win me over completely:

"To all those men and women who will always find a place for themselves in a library more easily than in society, I dedicate this entertainment."

I rarely read short stories (which I must admit is a big fault of mine), because I often find myself wishing there was more than just a few pages. But this had just the perfect length and a perfectly acceptable ending. I read it in one sitting, and I was entertained from beginning to end.

The story is actually rather simple, as it is merely a long monologue by a lonely and neglected librarian. But as she speaks you learn to read between the lines, and therefore gain an interesting insight to her soul and her past. Her long speech contains small stories of a broken heart, a trivial everyday life and a deep love for books, history and French culture.
Not only is this story a witty characterization of a bitter librarian, it is also a tribute and a celebration of books, reading and philosophy. Intelligent, amusing and endearing - this book had it all.