cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales - Arthur Rackham, Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

My edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales opens with an illustration of an enchanted forest, and I consider that as the perfect symbolism. Because as you open this book, you leave the worries and troubles of everyday-life behind, and step into a world of wonders, where beautiful maidens cry tears of gold and valiant knights slay beasts and win entire kingdoms.

We all grew up with the tales of the Brothers Grimm, and we all remember them fondly. But as I re-read this for the first time since my childhood, I realized how many stories I had forgotten over the years. "The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids", "The Brave Little Tailor" and of course the story of "One-eye, Two-eyes and Three-Eyes" all produced happy memories, as I started to recall them.
It was also great fun to read the very well-known stories such as "Rapunzel", "The Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella", and consider how they have developed over the years. Even though I do like Perrault's more stylized version of "Cinderella" the best, I think there's a interesting and more raw side to Grimm's version.

The stories vary greatly from the beautiful classic fairy-tales of princes and princesses, to the practical encounters of farmers and the moralizing stories of good behavior, each with their own lesson and point. Whether it is to learn that a cat always will eat mice, or that good always conquers evil in the end, every tale has something to offer.