cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry
Captain Wentworth's Diary  - Amanda Grange This was far better than "Mr. Darcy's Diary" in the same series. Not only because 'Persuasion' is my favorite novel of all-time (although that may have been a contributing factor as well), but mainly because Grange actually uses her imagination in this one, and therefore creates something partly-original instead of just retelling Austen's well-known story.
The first part of this book is definitely the best part, as it offers the most refreshingly new angle on Wentworth's and Anne's love story. Grange writes of the first time the two lovers met, and therefore tells an entirely new love story, the one that Austen chose to leave in the dark. And I find myself agreeing completely with Grange in her interpretation of the first meeting between Wentworth and Anne. Her writing is convincing, believable, and most important of all: perfectly simple.
The second part of this book is unfortunately not as good, as it almost only consists of quotes from Austen's original novel. Grange seems to be at her best, when she has no guidebook and is forced to use her imagination, otherwise she's too bound to her integrity for Austen's authorship. And while I perfectly understand her dilemma, I do not approve of that sort of writing. If I wanted to read Austen's version of 'Persuasion' I would just read the original book. Right?