cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry

Calling me home (in Danish)

Hjem - Julie Kibler It's been a long time since I've cried like this. It almost feels like my heart has been broken and bent, and I am exhausted. My head aches, my eyes are swollen and red, and my nose keeps running. I have been shattered into a sea of tears.

I am a sentimental and impressionable young thing, and I do often shed a tear or two over the pages of someone else's story. But this time I couldn't help myself; I sobbed my way through the last 100 pages of this book, and now that they have passed and the book is closed, I feel empty and tired. So, so, so tired.
It is obvious that you're supposed to cry while reading this story. Kibler's plot is consciously designed that way. Sometimes it even feels like she is pushing you, edging you to the verge of a break-down with her beautifully touching and sad love story. At times it can be annoying, obtrusive even. But it still works.

This is a moving and well-known story of racism, love and missed opportunities - and it proves its continuous relevance by being related to the present, in the shape of Dorrie. While I didn't particularly need that aspect of the story, I still appreciate Kibler's point.

I didn't love "The Help", but I adore this. "Calling Me Home" is such a tragic love story, told in the most beautiful way possible. I fell in love while I read it - not in love with the characters, but with the character's love for each other. It felt so real, that it nearly broke my heart.