cinderellla

Paperback Castles

Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis, Christopher Prendergast
Swanns verden 2 (På sporet af den tabte tid, #2)
Marcel Proust
The Essential Rumi
Rumi, Coleman Barks, John Moyne, A.J. Arberry

The Blue Fairy Book

The Blue Fairy Book - Andrew Lang To once again read the beloved fairy tales of my childhood was such a sweet escapism. There's a lovely sense of mythology and childish remembrance involved with reading these fantastic tales of bravery, kindness and absurdness. White cats who can transform themselves into fairies and princesses, girls who spit out jewels when they talk, and valiant princes who never gives up on their beloved. These are the stories we grew up with; the stories we love, and the stories that taught us that good will always conquer evil in the end.

However, this little book took me forever to read. I do not know whether I can blame it on my unfocused brain cells, or perhaps Lang's less drastic versions of the well-known tales. It is probably a combination of both.
Compared to the fairy tales of the Brother Grimm's or Charles Perrault, Lang's versions do seem a bit weak and perhaps even timid at times. I didn't care much for his simplistic representation of "Cinderella", but since I was heavily influenced by Perrault's version as a child, it is hard for me to judge.
Lang's representation of "Beauty and the Beast" is truly the best version I have ever read. The simple sweetness in that tale almost resembled the Disneyfied version we have all known as children. Completely lovable.